Academic Enrichment Programs
VMI offers a number of exciting enrichment programs that enhance the primary academic experiences provided in our majors and minors, demonstrating the Institute’s full commitment to educating the whole person. Some of those opportunities include:
- Distinquished Speakers - Well-known dignitaries, experts, and leaders regularly come to to VMI to address the Corps of Cadets, offering diverse and stimulating perspectives on a wide rang of topics. National awards, conferences, and symposia bring distinguished speakers to VMI to address the nation's future leaders.
- Global Opportunities - International programs include semesters and summers abroad, short-term travel, cultural immersion and international internships.
- Research - A robust undergraduate research program links cadets and professors in the exploration of open-ended research questions. The research culminates in a capstone experience.
- Institute Honors - Established for students who achieve at high levels, the program includes honors courses (with enrollment limited to 12), special forums on current events, and a capstone senior honors project or thesis
- Service based Learning - Opportunities to learn about service at the local, national, and international levels. Classroom experiences and hands-on participation in community projects give cadets an awareness of the importance of service in the lives of citizen-soldiers.