Where to Recycle
In Barracks, all recycling must be placed in the Recycling Rooms located on each stoop.
Everywhere else on Post
Many VMI employees have green desk-side recycling bins for mixed paper. The employee is responsible for emptying the desk-side bin into a central paper collection area.
All buildings on Post have a central location for mixed paper. Generally, this area will have one or more red or yellow canvas bags, or plastic containers marked “mixed paper”. If you do not know where the nearest central location is, contact your department administrator.
Clear plastic bags of shredded paper should be placed at the central paper collection area. Paper is picked up once a week by Physical Plant personnel.
Plastic, glass, aluminum
Many buildings on Post have one or more containers for plastic, glass, and aluminum items. These containers must be lined with a clear plastic bag. If you do not know where the nearest container is, contact your department administrator.
Official recycling containers are emptied as needed by Physical Plant personnel.
Clear bags of recyclables may be deposited at one of the following locations for City pick up:
- Maury Brooke Hall: on the curb at the loading dock behind building
- Nichols Engineering: on the ground next to the cardboard bin behind building
- Bookstore/Third Barracks: on the ground next to the dumpsters behind building
- Between Cameron Hall and Foster Stadium: on the concrete pad next to the dumpsters
- Health Center: on the ground next to the dumpster behind building
- Scott Shipp Hall: on the ground next to the dumpsters behind building
Small amounts of flattened cardboard may be placed at the central mixed paper collection area. Large amounts of cardboard must be placed in a dedicated cardboard bin at one of the following locations:
- Behind Nichols Engineering
- Behind the Bookstore/Third Barracks
- At the Northeast end of Kilbourne Hall
If you have a special event that will generate a large amount of recyclables, please contact Physical Plant for support. PhysicalPlantHelp@vmi.edu