September 9, 2013
VMI is accepting applications for four full-time and four part-time Custodial workers.
Job Duties: Responsible for maintaining a high standard of cleanliness within the cadet barracks or other assigned area on post through daily cleaning and disinfecting of all assigned restrooms and showers, to include weekly scrubbing of mechanical and manual equipment. Preform daily removal of trash and debris from all assigned areas, with frequent lifting of up to 50 lbs and occasional moving of heavy furniture. Ensure all assigned floors are kept clean and free of debris. Be able to work in various weather conditions. Flexibility to adjust schedule and/or work in an overtime status to support evening and weekend Post events. Perform other duties and assignments as directed by management.
• Knowledge of cleaning methods and use of cleaning chemicals, equipment and supplies
• Knowledge of safety practices related to the work
• Working skill in the operation of manual and power cleaning equipment to include buffers, wet-dry vacuums, shampooers, and pressure washers
• Ability to perform a variety of cleaning tasks
• Ability to tolerate contact with a variety of cleaning products and solutions
• Ability to lift/move heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to perform manual labor
• Ability to read and write the English language, to understand and follow oral/written instructions
• Ability to work in either a team or individual environment
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Possess a valid VA driver’s license
• Successful candidate must pass a criminal background check
The full-time positions have a starting salary of $17,680, with full benefits. Only current VMI employees are eligible to apply for the full-time positions.
The part-time positions are open to the general public and start at $8.50 per hour.
To apply, send completed State application form to Human Resources, Virginia Military Institute, 305 Letcher Avenue, Lexington, VA 24450-0304. Applications are accepted until positions are filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability.